06 July 2011

My Experience As An Intern at RWY (By Nicholas Er)


1st July 2011

My name is Nicholas Er, a current LLB (UOL) undergraduate in KDU University College. Firstly, I would like to thank Mr. Richard and Mr. Yip, the partners in RWY for accepting me as an attachment student in their legal firm. Whatever I have learnt here, it is beyond my LLB course.

The first thing that I have learnt is to send a letter of demand (LOD). It is called ‘precedent’ but not ‘sample’ if I am requesting for a previous LOD. It is not easy to write a LOD as it must be clear and easy to understand by the reader. Liability and quantum have to be clearly stated. Then, I have also come across with different modes of sending a mail such as Certificate of Posting, AR Registered and etc.

The next thing that I have learnt is that all the files must be kept tidy. “A messy file means a messy lawyer” is the advice from Mr. Richard. Then, the first thing to be read in a file is correspondence to understand the facts. Be prepared before going for hearing or trial is needed as the judge would ask all kinds of questions. To be a good lawyer, we must understand our facts and plan our strategy well. This is the advice from Mr. Yip.

I have gone to the High Court thrice with the partners to see how lawyers debate in the court. Thanks to Xiao Heng, he had explained to me how the court works and brought me to various places in the High Court. Although there are not many litigation cases in this month which enable me to go to the court frequently, I am feeling glad that I have learnt many things in the office including to do research on s. 232 Companies Act 1965 involving liquidators, meeting client, and also to read the high-profile cases which have involved drugs. This is the time when I have to study s. 39(B) of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952 carefully.

In addition, I have also learnt on how superior courts and subordinate courts work in Malaysia. Different courts hear different civil matter which is based on the monetary amount of the claim. And then what steps should be taken if an appeal is to be made and what rules have to be complied with were explained to me by Ms. Salvindar. I certainly have a clearer picture on the Judiciary of Malaysia after the explanation.

There are times when I think that I am not good enough while having my internship in RWY especially when I was careless and not being initiative enough. There was once when I was asked to read a few files, and after I have read it I was just waiting for the further instructions. Subsequently I was told that I have to approach my senior once I have read the files and ask whatever questions that I do not understand. That was the time I realized I have to be more initiative in future. Moreover, I was advised to make two changes to myself: talk confidently and improve my English language.

Lastly, I would like to thank all the professionals in RWY for guiding me patiently and have treated me as if I am one of the family members here. I apologized if I have said or done anything wrongly in this period and I wish all the best to everybody in RWY.


No comments:

Post a Comment