18 September 2009

My Experience as an Intern at RWL (now known as RWY) - Rachel Wong

I started my legal attachment with the firm on 29 June 2009. The first few days was daunting as I had to wake up real early to get to work. It took me awhile to get accustomed to the working hours. Moreover, I had to familiarize myself with the firm, the partners, the clerk and my colleague.

However, when the first week was done, I felt so at home in the firm. I remembered the second day of work, I had the opportunity to follow Mr. Richard to PJ Court for a criminal matter. I was so excited as it was my first experience witnessing a criminal trial.

Furthermore, I was so privileged to be able to follow Mr. Richard for Case Management in KL Court. I was impressed with the current system of Case Management.

My first experience in the Palace of Justice in Putrajaya was enlightening. To begin with, the building itself was quite a sight, but what really caught my attention was the solemnity inside the Court of Appeal. A lot of confidence is required when submitting, and this no doubt comes with experience.

Some days, I get to sit in office and draft Letters of Demand, letters to client, and Affidavits. Other days, I get to sit in meetings with clients. I get to see real work being done. I also did quite a bit of research for the partners. I was quite incompetent at first, and did not really enjoy doing it. However, gradually I saw the advantages of completing a research. With research comes knowledge, and knowledge is indeed a powerful tool. It kept me on my feet, and it made me think a lot.

I was given the opportunity to follow Mr. Richard for a client interview in Sungai Buloh prison. It was my first experience entering the confines of a maximum security facility and it was indeed an eye-opener.

Other than that, I had to call clients, banks, government departments, lawyers and the list goes on. I was quite intimidated at first, as I was not very experienced in conversing in a very business-like manner. More often than not, the line gets transferred, or it gets cut off. As time went by, I became more confident and competent, and dealing with phone calls did not seem as intimidating as before. I had a lot of help from my colleague Yip, and the clerk Miss Mala, as they were more than willing to teach me tasks like photocopying, faxing and drafting documents.

Then of course there’s Mr. Richard, whom I respect a lot. What I remember most and am most grateful, is the fact that he took time to teach me, incompetent as I was. I will always remember his words at my last day of work. He told me my strengths and weaknesses and the areas that require improvement. He also taught me how to carry myself as a lawyer (to be). When you are a lawyer, you talk the talk, and walk to walk of a lawyer.

Mr. Sunil, on the other hand, may seem a little quiet at first, but his intelligence is indisputable. He has this award winning smile which never fails to capture the hearts of people.

Then there is Ms Karen. She’s one lady I respect a lot, due to her discipline and enthusiasm for her job.

Of course, most importantly are the meals we had together. My love for pork grew as my love for the firm blossomed. Section 17, and Pork Burger will always bring back recollections of the firm.

I remember when I first joined the firm, I knew nothing about Malaysian Law, and I had no knowledge at all about the Dangerous Drugs Act. When I left, I could even point out the different sections for different drug offences. At the end of the day, I guess it’s not about the size of the firm, nor where you work. What matters is the satisfaction you get, the knowledge you acquired and doing what you enjoy. It was indeed an enjoyable experience. If there was one word I can use to describe the firm, the people, and my experience, it would be “memorable”.


By Rachel Wong

No comments:

Post a Comment