19 September 2009

My Experience as an Intern at RWL (now known as RWY) - Claudia Loh


I got to know about RWL through Rachel, one of their previous attachment student. She shared her experience in RWL with me, as I had always been interested in criminal litigation, it had driven me to want to do an attachment in the firm, one of the famous criminal law firms in Malaysia.

Initially, I was worried that it might be a bit too late to apply for the attachment. Nonetheless, I took the initiative and tried my luck. Three days later, I got a reply from Mr. Richard. Later on, he phone interviewed me and thankfully, I got through and started work the following week.

The first day of work started with something totally amazing, I was so lucky enough to be one of the people who could witness an inquest on Teoh Beng Hock’s death, an issue attracting the whole nation’s attention. Other days, I get to follow Mr. Richard to criminal trials and some civil suits. One of the most interesting case would be the drugs cases. I remember the first day of work, I asked Mr. Richard, ‘why do you want to defend those criminals even when at times you know they committed a crime?’

He gave me an answer I never expected and truly enlightening. He says this, we lawyers do not defend criminals, but we are here to defend the law. Imagine if the criminal was not represented? Who is going to ensure his rights are rightly protected by the law? Even though he may have committed a crime, but that doesn’t mean his rights should be violated in every way. Furthermore, every single case the judge decides forms a precedent and becomes the law of all future binding cases. If there is no lawyer to defend the criminals and judges can eventually do what they like, just imagine how the law could be screwed by just ONE mistake made by a judge.

Mr. Richard is one of the fantastic men I’ve ever seen. He is a part time lecturer, full time lawyer, no time slacker, and all-the-time joker. He also showed me that how important my role could be. As a future lawyer, I play an integral part in this society. Every point we submit in court, if accepted by the judge, becomes the law. I began to feel that it is not just my business anymore, it makes me feel that I have the responsibility to do my job well and serve the country. I am not just an ordinary girl, but someday, I could be the person to make justice SEEN to be done. Law is never just a tool for the government to manipulate anymore, but it is independent, and sovereign that prevails above any other thing or person. It serves as a tool to regulate and protect the nation, ensuring people or rulers do not go beyond the boundary. And we the legal professionals are the only people who can defend this function of the law and provide a hope to this country. I was instantly aspired and inspired. From then, I understand what I am getting into but instead I become even more passionate and enthusiastic about my ambition.

Many students may hate doing research which forms an ‘essential and vital’ part of an attachment student’s life. Truth to be told, I was one of them. It is not anymore after I came to RWL. I saw how my research work were being ‘transformed’ to real submissions in court, and how the judges were impressed with the authorities I found, the satisfaction I get was totally completely wholly, indescribable. I became so enthusiastic about doing research suddenly, it does not only add on my knowledge, but I began to feel confident in my capability.

RWL does not treat you just as an attachment student, but a real solicitor, most importantly they believe in your work and your ability, and you will feel that your work impacts the real case on hand. To me, an attachment is not a firm’s free labour (a labour with law knowledge what more!), but we are here to learn the reality side of practicing law. At RWL, I was not being taken advantage at all, but instead, I felt that I was educated and awakened in the course of gaining experience.

The working environment is also one that I could not ask for more. It is based in Sri Hartamas, one of the strategic area but away from heavy traffics. I did not have to wake up too early for work or stuck in jam for too long to go home. Moreover, the partners are friendly. Mr. Sunil, who does civil litigation, is the friendly man whom you feel like cuddling him; Ms. Karen, the conveyancing lawyer, is nice and caring. Our secretary, Ms. Mala is the pro in photostating, binding, preparing records of appeal etc. You feel at ease with her help. Did I mention there are a mother cat and a kitten who always hang around in the garden of our office? Look, even the cats love the firm.

I could go on and write a thesis of every detail of the firm because every bit of it is so worth sharing. Every laughter is so worth cherishing. The three-week period might not be long enough for me to gain a deeper insight but it was definitely too short enough for me to mesmerize.


By Claudia Loh

No comments:

Post a Comment